Weather Icon 8.9°C Overcast
MATCH REPORT Gloucester City 0-2 Curzon Ashton
Monday 14th November 2016 @ 11:11 by Mark Phillip
Ashton Football Sports

By Ian Seymour:

Curzon collected three precious points against an in-form Gloucester side with an impressive display at Cheltenham Town’s LCI Rail Stadium on Saturday.

It was an impressive performance against a side sitting just outside the play off places though Gloucester may point to the dismissal of their goalkeeper just before half time as playing a large part in the final result.

Curzon started the game well with Liam Tom’s firing over the crossbar after just two minutes, but a couple of minutes later Cameron Mason, making a rare start in the Curzon goal made a crucial save to turn Luke Hopper’s shot around the post.

Curzon were making most of the half chances though they were having trouble hitting the target with Iain Howard and Ryan Hall both missing the target but a surging run by Hall brought the opening goal.

Hall came in from the left but was stopped in his tracks by a combination of goalkeeper and defender.

The loose ball fell to Liam Tomsett on the edge of the box and he steered his shot past the prone bodies to give Curzon a deserved lead.

Curzon were controlling the game and a defender got in just ahead of Niall Cummins who would have had an easy finish and then Joe Guest fired wide after some great interplay.

Any hopes Gloucester might have had in getting back into the game took a nosedive seconds before the interval.

Hall knocked the ball past Jasbir Singh who had come out of the area to meet the Curzon winger but as the ball struck the keeper’s arm the referee deemed it was a deliberate act to stop the ball and showed Singh a red card.

Midfielder Joe Hanks took over in goal but disappointingly for the Curzon faithful, the stand in keeper didn’t have too much to do in the second half.

Curzon continued to control possession in the second half but Gloucester defended well, rarely giving the Curzon forwards a sight on goal.

Niall Cummins had two good chances. He didn’t get enough purchase on his shot on the hour and Hanks made a good low save and midway through the half Cummins looked certain to score as he rounded Hanks but then found the angle was against him and his final shot ended up in the side netting .

Gloucester created a couple of half chances and the ten men at times put Curzon under some pressure but with nine minutes remaining, Cummins came close again as he lobbed the keeper but saw his effort go just too high and clip the top of the crossbar.

It could have been a crucial miss but Connor Hampson made a magnificent block as Gloucester carved out their best chance since the early minutes of the game and with a couple of minutes remaining Hanks kept his side in the game when he saved from Adam Morgan.

The Nash had a scare as Hopper raced through as the clock ticked over the 90 minutes but they breathed again as the threat was ended by a linesman’s flag but as the game entered its dying seconds the drama still wasn’t over.

Mason stopped a cross on his line but didn’t hold the ball cleanly, but with a forward closing in he knocked the ball away, it was collected by Jordan Wright who played an inch perfect pass to Morgan who was sprinting forward, and Morgan did the rest, wrong footing a defender before slotting the ball home.