Woman and Two Children Escape Openshaw House Fire
Tuesday 4th October 2016 @ 10:59 by Tom Greggan
Gorton & Openshaw News

A woman required first aid treatment after an Openshaw house fire last night.

Crews from Philips Park and Gorton were called to Hovis Street a little after 12:30am to find a fire on the ground floor of the property, involving a television and an oil heater.

They used breathing apparatus and a hose reel to extinguish the fire after containing it to the ground floor back room.

Neighbours had tried to extinguish the fire themselves after the woman escaped the property through a window and alerted them to the emergency.

Watch Manager Huw Crosby said: “The resident of the property suffered burns and required first aid after she had escaped from the property through a window. She alerted neighbours to the fire and they rang the fire service and then attempted to extinguish the fire themselves.

“When our crews arrived they led the Good Samaritan neighbours to safety and checked the property. Two children were also safely out of the house.

“The fire was contained to the back room and downstairs of the property where it is believed the fire started accidentally, involving a fuel heater. The rest of the property was smoke logged.”

The ambulance service was also in attendance.