Weather Icon 8.7°C Overcast
Match Report Prescot Cables 0-4 Hyde United
Thursday 29th September 2016 @ 16:07 by Mark Phillip
Football Hyde Sports

Hyde United rediscovered their winning formula at Prescot Cables on Tuesday evening. Tom Gray reports on the 4-0 thumping in Merseyside:

The dominant Tigers put in a scintillating performance from start to finish which helped them brush aside Prescot and record there first away win in almost a year.

With the wind in their sales, Hyde came into the game looking to pick up where they left off after that last gasp equaliser against Bamber Bridge last week.

Hyde lined up in a 4-2-3-1 formation with centre half Dave Mcgurk being drafted into the team late after James Burke came down with illness. There was also a first start for Andy Bishop who was signed earlier in the day.

Straight from the off it was clear that Prescott where going to try and play on the break with their main man Rob Doran leading the line.

Although Hyde looked comfortable in possession, there was always a danger that they could be caught out at the back.

The first major chance came the way of Hyde on 25 minutes after superb one touch football between Thurston, Pearson and Bishop resulted in Thurston dinking the ball over the on rushing keeper, only for Prescott’s Bram Johnstone to brilliantly clear off the line.

With Hyde continuing to put the pressure on, Prescott quickly countered with Doran playing the ball through to winger Phil Bannister who went one on one with the keeper only to blast his shot well over the bar.

With the game going end to end it looked like both teams where going to go into the break level pegging but Dave Mcgurk had other ideas.

A deep corner to the back post was headed back across goal by Adam Jones to his Centre half partner Mcgurk to poke the ball into the net and send Hyde one up going into the break.

Both teams started the second half in a really lively fashion knowing the next goal was going to be a very important one.

They both mustered a couple of half chances but on 55 minutes Prescott handed the ball the Phil Dean and consequently the game.

A loose pass was snapped up by the Tigers winger and after bearing down on the keeper, he had the composure to take it around him and slip it into an open goal.

Prescott responded well and threw three of their subs on in an attempt to try and get back into the game immediately.

With Hyde struggling to get out of their own half it looked like the Cables were going to be the next team to score, however this wasn’t the case and Hyde got their third and put the game to bed. Another corner whipped in by Dean went to the back post and Mcgurk had peeled off his man and headed brilliantly into the net.

Speaking after the game Mcgurk said ”we’ve worked on that set piece a lot and the delivery’s haven’t been good enough and the deliveries were spot on, the exact same set piece and we’ve got two goals from it so it’s nice to see the rewards on the training ground coming off”

With the game seemingly over Prescott seemed to run out of steam as Hyde found more and more space on the pitch.

They had a couple of chance to get another with the best coming to Pete Boyle who missed a free header 5 yards out.

As the referee indicated there would be three minutes added on, Hyde took their time with a corner that went short to Matt Dempsey.

Great interplay from himself and James Cadman resulted in a ball being whipped into the box and substitute Joe Pugh got in front of his man to divert the ball into the back of the net. It appeared to come off the defender but Pugh will definitely claim it.

A great debut by Andy Bishop who seemed to win everything going forward and was at the centre of everything Hyde did going forward.

He slotted into the team perfectly and maybe is the answer to what Hyde have been missing going forward.

Hopefully the Tigers can push on now as they host Trafford on Saturday and with the mood in the camp good, they should be able to push on and continue to climb up the table.