Weather Icon 8.4°C Rain
Match Report Aldwinians Bounce Back Against Pointless Silloth
Wednesday 14th September 2016 @ 12:03 by Mark Phillip
Denton & Audenshaw Sports

By Trevor Hulmes

Aldwinians 53-12 Silloth

The Audenshaw team achieved their highest points score in two years as they scored eight tries in a convincing
victory over their Cumbrian opponents.

In perfect playing conditions , captain Andy Gidman led his team out to contest their first home game of the season.
After the disappointment of the defeat at Carlisle the Saturday before, it was important to show what improvements had resulted from the weeks coaching sessions .The first half started brightly with centre Jamie Henderson on a driving run down the left flank after the initial work of the half backs Jay Burton and young fly half Adam Heath. The move was stopped by the defence but the referee had played advantage and returned to award a penalty from 40 metres. Adam Heath
confidently stroked the ball between the posts for a 3 – 0 lead on four minutes.

Aldwinians dominated the possession and territory in the first quarter but struggled to convert that advantage into points.
The front row were again solid in the scrummage and with Tyler Gibson accurately throwing in at the lineout , their was more work for Mike Singleton in the second row .This enabled returning wing forward Andy Howarth to show his skills ably supported by no 8 David Tootill and Mike Moreland. In the backs, full back Richard Mooney enjoyed more space and came into the attack on two key occasions. The first was a neat chip through ,collected by following wing Mitchell Dempsey who passed back to Mooney to take play up to Silloths 20 metre area. The second , on the 20th minute resulted in the first try.

The move started in own half with Mike Singleton making a 30 metre run taken on by centre James Worrall. The ball was setup and taken on by Singleton again. The ball came to Mooney moving right with David Tootill on his shoulder to take his pass. A short drive by him and a supporting run round by Mooney put him in space to take the return pass a score on the right.

Sadly, there was an immediate deflation of spirit as Silloth got a try back a couple of minutes later through the Aldwinians midfield where work still needs to be done in managing defensive alignment.

With the score at 8 – 5 and effort not being converted clinically into points there was a real risk in Silloth gaining confidence, and the Aldwinians side getting frustrated. The hard working forwards kept the driving going with the ubiquitous scrum half Jay Burton beavering away at the base of ruck and maul and the scrums to keep the impetus going.

The efforts were rewarded just before half time after a typically storming run by centre James Worrall leading to a try for young wing Lee Kern and a half time lead of 13 -5.

Silloth were unlucky to lose a player with a leg injury in the first half which required an ambulance and hospital treatment and we wish him a speedy recovery.

Both sides used their replacements in the second half which saw the early introduction of back row Lewis Quinn for Aldwinians . He made his mark quickly with a storming run from half way to within 15 metres of the Sillloth line. Burton took the ball on and the Silloth defence was under intense pressure. A typical Tootill drive combining with the mighty Quinn left the line open for the sniping Burton to take the ball and go over the line on 49 mins. Adam Heath converted to increase the lead to 20 -5.

Then a yellow card and 10 minutes in the sin bin for the Sillloth centre for a high tackle on Mitchell Demsey didn’t help the visitors cause. The pressure continued with a great run from replacement wing Alex Hughes putting play back in Silloth’s 22 area. The pack were on a roll pushing the Cumbrians off their own ball who collapsed the scrum. When this happened a second time in succession on 57 mins, the referee awarded a penalty try converted by Heath.

Even with Silloth back to a full complement this was now more of a procession with Aldwinians growing in confidence. With fly half Adam Heath getting his first full outing at stand off ,his own increasing composure was evident as he coordinated with his midfield backs. The best try of the game came from a sweeping backs move with the ball being passed and taken on the gain line enabling outside centre Jamie Henderson to come onto the ball at pace and straight to scythe through the defence and score left of the posts. Heath again converted to extend the lead to 34-5 on 62 minutes.

There were three more Aldwinians tries in the final quarter, all scored by three quarters. An impressive solo 80 metre run by Mitchell Dempsey ; then James Worrall getting on the score sheet and finally Alex Hughes. In fact, apart from the penalty try the other seven tries in the game came from the backs. That means plenty of thanks due to the forwards for controlling the game from the front- hopefully a combination that will produce similar performances during the season.

This Saturday, Aldwinians league action moves up to Wigton in Cumbria .