CASE CLOSED Police close investigation into attempted child abduction
Thursday 14th May 2015 @ 11:39 by Max Wieland
Hyde News

Police have closed an investigation into an attempted abduction in Hyde after it became clear that no offence took place.

HYDE MARKET PLACE: The area where attempted abduction was said to have taken place.

HYDE MARKET PLACE: The area where attempted abduction was said to have taken place.

The incident took place on Monday at around 2pm after a mother of a two-year-old girl called police believing a man had attempted to abduct her child.

A full investigation was launched by the police but after interviewing a 36-year-old man officers became satisfied that no offence had taken place.

The 36-year-old man was released without charge and the case has been subsequently closed.

Police Statement

Detective Chief Inspector John Mazzolai said: “We appreciate that the public are understandably concerned about this case, but we would like to reassure people that this incident has stemmed from a misunderstanding between the mother and the man in question.

“Following the mother’s report of an attempted abduction, we launched a full investigation and following some excellent work from our officers we were able to take a man into custody.

“However, following an investigation into the facts and a full interview with both the 36-year-old man and the mother, we have come to the conclusion that no offence took place.”

He added: “It has become apparent that this man had no intent to abduct the little girl and was in fact attempting to return the girl to her mother.

“We have spoken at length to the mother about his account and she is completely satisfied that this case was based on a misunderstanding between the two of them.

“We did not wish to unduly raise concerns amongst the community, but at the time believed this to be a genuine abduction attempt and felt the right course of action was to warn the public.

“We will always encourage the public to remain vigilant and report such incidents to us, but in circumstances such as this it is also right that we inform the public when incidents turn out to be false alarms.”