Weather Icon 9°C Overcast
Hillmen celebrate Cup joy
Friday 13th December 2013 @ 20:30 by Lisa B

Glossop North End 3  Matlock Town 2

Derbyshire Senior Cup third round


Once again a County Cup tie served up an unexpected delight as this ‘little ripper’ had everything you could ask for to warm you up on a cold Derbyshire night.

The Evo Stik Premier visitors were obviously taking the tie seriously and started off like a train, dominating possession and peppering the Glossop goal.

The Hillmen at this stage were resorting to a long ball game and making little headway. It came as no surprise, then, when Town took a 10th minute lead and it was a goal of real quality.

Shaun Tuton worked hard to keep the ball in play and then fed Corey Gregory who played a perfect ball in for Lavell White to finish to the net.

Glossop’s attacks were petering out due to a succession of offside flags, while at the other end Gregory this time played in Tuton whose first time effort was kept out one handed by Stefan Fielding.

On 20 minutes Sam Madeley finally registered a shot on target for the hosts, but it was easily dealt with by Jonathan Hedge.

The game had a feisty edge to it and this was demonstrated when Tuton picked up a booking for a very late challenge on Dave Young who needed lengthy treatment before resuming and was then later withdrawn.

It was clearly a game for the brave and so in stepped the Hillmen’s captain Lincoln Adams.

Built like a basketball player he didn’t so much bundle home the equaliser as ‘slam dunk’ it into the net – nobody was going to get in his way!!

Glossop’s tails were now up and in the 37th minute Madeley attempted a ‘Beckhamesque’ chip from just inside the Matlock half when he spotted Hedge off his line.

He was only a whisker away. It was now end to end stuff with Gregory and White combining well again for Matlock with no end result before play switched to the other end again with Madeley receiving the ball on the edge of the area before turning and finishing superbly to fire the hosts ahead.

The half still had another goal in it, though. After Glossop had failed to deal with a 45th minute corner Danny Holland stabbed the ball home at the far post.

The second half saw Tom Bailey coming more into the game, the Glossop man full of strength and running and going close three minutes after the restart.

In the 56th minute substitute Nathan Neequaye launched a ball forward and Madeley showed a superb first touch to get it under control before hammering it past Hedge to regain Glossop’s advantage.

Nine minutes later White should have equalised from right in front of goal but poked his effort tamely at Fielding.

Matlock were presented with an even better chance in the 74th minute when the referee spotted a handball in the area and awarded the visitors a penalty. Bradley Grayson stepped up to take it, but he was denied by a fine save from Fielding.

At the other end Bailey almost made the game safe when he drew an excellent save from Hedge and Andrew Kilheeney could only send the loose ball over the bar.

However the Hillmen held on and despite a few ‘handbags’ in the tunnel as the players left the pitch Chris Willcock and his players will no doubt be delighted with this win.

They will need to show the same resolve in their next assignment, a tough away day at Maine Road on Saturday that could see them propel themselves firmly into the promotion shake up with a victory.

Glossop North End: Fielding, Byrne, Russell (Neequaye), Young (Kelvin Lugsden), Adams, Smith, Allen, Kilheeney, Bailey, Hare, Madeley (Kieran Lugsden). Subs not used: Riley, Jones. Attendance: 138.

by Dave Edler